“You can’t always control what happens, but you can control how you react.”
This is always something I think of when I find myself getting upset over something small. But emotions are emotions and sometimes things just piss you off.
Five ways to not let emotions get the best of you:
1. Acknowledge how you feel. See it, feel it, let your face get hot and that knot in your throat stay there for a little and just feel it. Accept whatever comes up and it becomes much easier to let it go.
2. Focus on your breath. Notice when your breathing becomes restricted. Deepen your breath.
3. Express how you feel AFTER you cool off. Never ever express yourself in the heat of the moment.
4. Take a walk outside. Get some fresh air. Appreciate nature. Soak up the beauty and good energy around you.
5. Find gratitude. Think of three things that either make you happy, bring you peace, or give you that amazing feel good feeling!
After all of that then go back to whatever it is that seriously effing pissed you off and chances are it wont be all that bad anymore.
Having complete control over your emotions may sound like some wonderfully divine buddha quality, (especially when some bitch cuts you off in rush hour traffic) but following these five steps will help you keep calm and carry on.
Om, peace, ahimsa.